- This event has passed.
Oregon-California Trails Association Convention in Gering
July 29 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm CDT
One event on July 24, 2023 at 8:30 am
One event on July 25, 2023 at 8:00 am
One event on July 26, 2023 at 8:00 am
One event on July 27, 2023 at 8:00 am
One event on July 28, 2023 at 8:00 am
One event on July 29, 2023 at 9:00 am
The Oregon-California Trails Association and the Nebraska Chapter of OCTA present “We Do Old In A New Way”. The Gering Civic Center at 1050 M Street in Gering is Convention HQ, with additional events occurring at the Legacy of the Plains Museum, Scotts Bluff National Monument, and the Midwest Theater.
The theme of this year’s convention, We Do Old In A New Way, is a nod to the fact that since OCTA’s last Gering convention, three new museum facilities were built at Chimney Rock, Scotts Bluff National Monument, and the Legacy of the Plains Museum.
The convention will focus on the Oregon, California, Mormon Pioneer, and Pony Express National Historic Trails across Nebraska’s panhandle and eastern Wyoming (including the corridor’s usage by American Indians for thousands of years prior to usage by emigrants). The convention will explore each of these different eras via tours throughout the region, a premiere list of authoritative speakers, and events at other local sites.
Registration and fees are required. Visit the convention website to register, and for up-to-date schedules.
Speakers and locations include:
Tuesday, July 25, Gering Civic Center, 1050 M St, Gering
- 1:00 pm Erick Wadsworth – The Mormon Pioneer Trail Across Nebraska
- 2:00 pm Phyllis Stone – Lakota Customs
- 3:00 pm Angela Bates – Nicodemus and Black Emigrants of Kansas
- 4:00 pm François-Marie Patorni – The Robidoux Family
Wednesday, July 26, Midwest Theater, 1707 Broadway, Scottsbluff
- 7 – 8:30 pm “On the California Trail: Preserving Gravelly Ford” (25 min) and “Educational Trail Shorts” including:
- “The Trial of Standing Bear” – 8 mins
- “Louise Clappe” – 8 mins
- “William Bent” – 11 mins
- “Jim Bridger (and Rendezvous)” – 9 mins
- “Nat Love – African American Cowboy and Cattle Trails” – 10 mins
Friday, July 28, Gering Civic Center, 1050 M St, Gering
- 9:00 am Brian and Colin Croft – Map Presentation
- 10:00 am Broc Anderson – Trails & Rails
- 11:00 am Kylie McCormick – Marking the Trail Along the Nebraska/Wyoming Border
- 1:00 pm Cindy Pierce and Gina Rhoads – The Captive Lucinda Eubanks
- 2:00 pm Cody Assmann – Oshkosh Fur Trade
- 3:00 pm Scott Alumbaugh – Bikepacking the Pony Express Trail
- 4:00 pm Jeff Broome – The Fletcher Sisters 1865 Indian Captivity near Rock Creek Station