To be eligible to apply for a Humanities Nebraska speaker:
- An organization must be a Nebraska not-for-profit organization or an educational institution.
- Program must be held in an accessible public place with space for at least 25 people. Due to the pandemic, Humanities Nebraska has opened its Speakers Bureau to livestreaming opportunities for the first time in its 47-year history. [A Limited Audience application with a higher cost is available for club or organization meetings, and conference sessions. Public institutions (prisons, state hospitals, state veteran’s homes, youth treatment centers) should also use the Limited Audience application.
- Program must be free and open to the general public. Admission fees may not be charged for HN Speakers Bureau programs, but organization may charge for meals at the program.
- Organization must have a promotional/marketing plan mapped out and described on the application form.
- HN Speakers Bureau programs may not be used as fundraisers.
- HN Speakers Bureau programs may not be used to promote particular political positions or points of view. All HN programs must be balanced.
If your organization meets the eligibility requirements, follow these steps to plan and implement a successful Speakers Bureau program. Forms are available online here, by calling 402-474-2131, or by sending email to info@HumanitiesNebraska.org.
Select a topic and speaker. If you have a particular speaker in mind, you can look up contact information by first or last name in the Speaker Index. Otherwise, a subject index is available in the online Speakers Bureau Catalog. Unless otherwise noted, programs are recommended for high school students and adults. A series of speakers may be booked using the Multiple Presentations Form.
Contact the speaker directly to arrange the date, time, and location of the program. Discuss the type of audience and any special arrangements including microphone, podium, projector, etc.
Arrange for funding. Fill out the online application (Para español, use el botón “Select Language” en la esquina superior izguierda en la página siguiente.) or print the appropriate application. An organization may make up to two applications per calendar year. Forms with the appropriate processing fee must be received in the HN office no less than 30 days and no more than one year before the program date. Mail the completed application form with the processing fee to: Humanities Nebraska, 215 Centennial Mall South, Suite 330, Lincoln, NE 68508.
Confirm your application has been approved. HN will send confirmation including a copy of your application with the speaker fee section filled in, publicity information, audience evaluation form, and final report form. Please review the publicity, program, and reporting information so that you are prepared to comply with HN requirements.
Publicize the program. Posters and press release templates are available here. Acknowledge HN funding in all print materials, media interviews and at the beginning of each HN Speakers Bureau program.
Confirm the speaker. It is wise to confirm the date, time, and location with the speaker a few days before the program is to take place. Get information on how you can contact the speaker the day of the program if necessary.
Set it up. On the day of the program, arrive early to check the room and sound equipment, hang up the HN poster, and supply the evaluation forms. Introduce the speaker and credit Humanities Nebraska for supporting the program.
Evaluate the program. Within 10 days after the event, fill out and return the final report along with any donations.
If arrangements need to be changed after the application is approved:
- The project director must notify HN and the speaker of any changes as soon as possible.
- HN requires a notice of the cancellation of a program at least 15 days before the program, or the organization forfeits the processing fee.
- If an organization fails to contact the speaker about the cancellation of a program, the organization is responsible for paying the speaker honorarium and travel cost in full.
- Failure to comply with HN Speakers Bureau policies can result in the organization not receiving future funding from HN.
If at any time during this process you have questions, feel free to call our office at 402-474-2131 ext. 103 or ext. 101.