In partnership with the Nebraska Writing Project and the Veterans Administration, Humanities Nebraska launched a new writing program aimed at veterans and active duty military personnel in the autumn of 2014. Participants need only be interested in writing in any form – they do not need to have any previous writing experience to benefit from the workshops.
NEW! From Warriors to Warrior Writers: Journeys to Healing
The first anthology of works written by Nebraska Warrior Writers
Makes the perfect gift! All proceeds will be used to support Nebraska Warrior Writers.
Facilitated by professional writing instructors, the workshops consist of six biweekly sessions focused on developing strategies and skills. Model texts are read and discussed by the group to help participants identify how good writing is built and to allow writing practice with immediate feedback. The range of works include fiction, poetry, and memoir. Writers develop a strong bond as they encourage each other. The workshop culminates in a voluntary public reading.
Participants develop skills that include:
• Generating ideas
• Seeking a publisher
Nebraska Warrior Writers will be meeting online via Zoom for the remainder of the fall semester.
Here is the schedule:
Our plan is to meet every Saturday morning at 9 - 11 a.m. via Zoom. All Nebraska Warrior Writers, past and present, from Grand Island, Lincoln and Omaha are welcome to attend. Each week alternates a guest presenter with sharing sessions so writers can read their works in progress and get feedback from the group.
- August 29: Workshop overview; guest presenter – Kelsey Baldridge
- September 12: Writing workshop; guest presenter – Becky Faber
- September 26: Writing workshop; guest presenter – Steve Langan
- October 10: Writing workshop; guest presenter – J. R. Dawson
- October 24: Writing workshop; guest presenter – Frank Tortorello
- November 7: Writing workshop; guest presenter – Matt Mason
- November 21: Season celebration; guest presenter – Maggie Christensen During the celebration, participants share their writing with the full group.
Fiction - Non-Fiction - Poetry - Prose - Song
written by workshop leaders
See the program in action on a special segment of “Nebraska Stories” on NET called “The Warrior’s Pen.”