How does the speaker receive payment for his/her program?
Speakers are paid directly by Humanities Nebraska.
Will the old application form be accepted?
Old application forms will not be accepted. An incorrect form or processing fee will be returned to the organization with the correct set of forms. Current forms are available on our website.
What is the timeline for sending in my application to the HN?
Application forms must be received in the HN office no more than one year and no less than 30 days before the confirmed program date. It is recommended that the sponsoring organization send the application form as soon as the program date and time are confirmed with the speaker.
How much will a speaker’s presentation cost my organization?
The cost to the organization depends on the category under which the application is filed. If your organization has a question as to which category you should file under, please contact our office. To view eligibility requirements for each category, click here:
- Category I – Cost is $50 (processing fee). The following speakers have a $75 processing fee: Cherrie Beam-Clarke, Darrell Draper, Charlotte Endorf, Sue McLain, Joan Wells and Jeff Barnes.
- Category II – Cost is $50 (processing fee). The following speakers have a $75 processing fee: Cherrie Beam-Clarke, Darrell Draper, Charlotte Endorf, Sue McLain, Joan Wells and Jeff Barnes. Free or reduced lunch eligibility: In schools where 50% or more of the students are eligible for the free and reduced price school meals program, the processing fee for the first program of the year is $35 and $50 for high-use speakers. For the second program of the year, the processing fee is $100.
- Category III – Cost is $50 plus 50 percent of the speaker cost determined by HN. The following speakers have a $75 processing fee: Cherrie Beam-Clarke, Darrell Draper, Charlotte Endorf, Sue McLain, Joan Wells and Jeff Barnes.
- Category IV – Cost is $50 for each speaker plus $50 for each program the speaker presents.
- There is a $100 processing fee for an organization’s second program in a calendar year.
Who can use the Speakers Bureau?
All non-profit organizations and education organizations are eligible. For-profit organizations may contract directly with speakers.
Can my organization use a Speakers Bureau program for a fundraiser or charge for admission?
No. Speakers Bureau programs cannot be used as fundraisers and must be free and open to the public. However, organizations may charge for meals associated with a program.
When should I expect my check to be mailed?
Checks from HN are processed and mailed on the 15th and last day of each month. If either of these falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the check is mailed on the previous Friday.
What should I do if I need to cancel a program?
The project director should notify the HN office and the speaker immediately. To notify HN, call 402-474-2131 ext. 103 or ext. 101. If you are able to reschedule the program with the speaker, please confirm date and time and let HN know.
What should I do if the speaker does not show up for a scheduled presentation?
Try to contact the speaker and inform the HN office by leaving a message at 402-474-2131 ext. 103.
What if someone wants to make a general donation to the HN?
Checks may be sent to the following address:
215 Centennial Mall South, Suite 330
Lincoln NE 68508
Or donate online by credit card.
What if someone wants to make a donation to a specific program (Chautauqua, Speakers Bureau, etc.)?
Tell them to include a note with the donation stating which program it is for and send it to the above address. Online donations also allow a person to cite a specific program.