Convergence on Sacred Ground
- July 21, 2017
- July 22, 2017
- July 23, 2017
CityU.S. 26, Lewellen, NE 69147, United States
Event to begin at 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Ash Hollow State Historical Park.
There will be a variety of HN Speakers and other special guests emphasizing the history of the region’s various cultures. Also, artifacts on display from the Battle of Blue Water Creek (part of the Warren Collection) on loan from the Smithsonian.
earn about the varied cultures of people that traversed and occupied Ash Hollow during the 18th and 19th centuries. The event will address a 200-year history of Native Americans and their connections with fur traders, militia, emigrants and ranchers who homesteaded the area. Native Americans are invited to tell their stories and participate in the planning of the event, providing an opportunity for reuniting spiritually with the past and moving forward as welcomed guests to the hollow in the future.
Historians, academics and performers will lead a discussion series throughout the event and tell the history of the area around Ash Hollow and the transformation that occurred during these years. Topics will include:
- Native American Indian wars
- American Indian treaties
- Relocation and attempts of assimilation of cultures
- U.S. military history of the area, including Fort Grattan and area forts and military strategies
Additionally there will be:
- Artifacts from the Battle of Blue Water Creek (part of the Warren Collection) will be on display, on loan from the Smithsonian.
- Diary readings of emigrant and fur trader’s stories
- Demonstrations of life on the prairie through Lthese inhospitable years
- The Nebraska ranch story will be shared with demonstrations of cattle branding, herding, and explanation of how brands and fencing wire evolved.
- Heritage families of the area are invited to participate in the commemoration of their personal histories.
- A day camp with children’s programs will teach native language, arts, beaded pony period arts, music and customs instructed by native artisans.
- Adult workshops will be included for visitors to participate and gain an appreciation for the sacrifices and challenges of this historical period.
For more information, please see here.